Is there a relatively quick way to get bash and dd on my Falcon?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

ScottChi
Atariator
Atariator

Is there a relatively quick way to get bash and dd on my Falcon?

Post by ScottChi »

Hi All,

I have a spare Falcon030 with internal drive that I would like to start cleaning up so that I can sell it next year.
The drive does not have MiNT or MultiTOS on it, just some GEMDOS programs and demos, a long with a whole bunch of old document files. If I had bash or bourne shell and dd, I could write some scripts to clean up those old files more efficiently.

My primary Falcon030 has a NetUSBee so that I can download files. I can use that machine to make floppy disks for the backup, or move the NetUSBee over for a larger file transfer.

Is there a compressed floppy image with these tools available online or something similar? Thanks for your help!

Scott C.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Is there a relatively quick way to get bash and dd on my Falcon?

Post by mikro »

There used to be something pretty close to what are you looking for: https://freemint.github.io/#snapshots but bintray shut down recently so we have to wait until the snapshots are migrated to a new place.

In the meantime, someone could post you a 020+ archive here.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

dd is part of coreutils. That package, and bash, are available at http://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php. However:
  • You need to extract the tools you need yourself, and make a floppy from it
  • bash will require MiNT to work. Maybe a different shell (GEMINI/MUPFEL, or Gulam) is better suited.
If you just want to erase your harddisk, maybe writing a small tool for it may be a simpler solution. Or maybe HDRRUTIL has an option for it?
ScottChi
Atariator
Atariator

Post by ScottChi »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:39 am dd is part of coreutils. That package, and bash, are available at http://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php. However:
  • You need to extract the tools you need yourself, and make a floppy from it
  • bash will require MiNT to work. Maybe a different shell (GEMINI/MUPFEL, or Gulam) is better suited.
If you just want to erase your harddisk, maybe writing a small tool for it may be a simpler solution. Or maybe HDRRUTIL has an option for it?
Thanks. I have tools for erasing the HDD. I was hoping to do a more targeted cleanup as the utilities, config tools and enhancements might be useful to the next owner.
neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by neotenien »

ScottChi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 am Hi All,

I have a spare Falcon030 with internal drive that I would like to start cleaning up so that I can sell it next year.
The drive does not have MiNT or MultiTOS on it, just some GEMDOS programs and demos, a long with a whole bunch of old document files. If I had bash or bourne shell and dd, I could write some scripts to clean up those old files more efficiently.

My primary Falcon030 has a NetUSBee so that I can download files. I can use that machine to make floppy disks for the backup, or move the NetUSBee over for a larger file transfer.

Is there a compressed floppy image with these tools available online or something similar? Thanks for your help!

Scott C.
Hello

If you have a Ethernet connection with your new Atari Falcon (with an EtherNAT ?) you can go here with highwire (or CAB) and donwload what you need about fremint
neotenien
Retro freak
Retro freak

Post by neotenien »

ScottChi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 am Hi All,

Scott C.
Sorry, it wasn't a pertinent link, if you want bask on Atari with MMU, the best link is on sparemint
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

For TOS, I would recommend Gulam: http://umich.edu/~archive/atari/Cli/

Text editor (similar to MicroEmacs), shell with scripting + TAB-completion and most of Unix utilities, all in one 100KB binary...

Return to “Applications”