TT VGA Adapter?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], lp, moondog/.tSCc., Moderator Team

FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

TT VGA Adapter?

Post by FatRakoon »

I wont waste time explaining the TT VGA output.

The display aint quite right and I have neen playing with my TT more and more and I now have 4 screen that are all doing the same thing.

Does any adapter exist that will allow us to have a perfectly crisp display on a new VGA screen?
MSTE @ 16Mhz : 4MB+8MB : Magic & Jinnee
TT030 @ 32Mhz : 10+16MB : Magic & Jinnee
Falcon060 @ 95Mhz : 16+512MB : MiNT & Jinnee
More PCs than PC World has... Probably
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Re: TT VGA Adapter?

Post by dhedberg »

OSSC
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

But doesnt OSSC only work with RGB?

I was under the impression that is does not do VGA ?

The TT is more of an almost VGA to actual VGA, although what the OSSC does is flipping close.

I remember the last screen I had for the TT that gave a crisp display, also gave me a massive border on the side of it, that, even when stretching the display, I could not get rid of... I used insulating tape to hide it in the end LOL
susher
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by susher »

The OSSC takes in VGA and SCART (RGB). VGA is an analogue RGB system.

Here's some sample output onto a 1080p TV.
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1198.jpg
IMG_1229.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

The OSSC has lots of settings for realtime adjustment/manipulation/conversion of the signals.
I have one for my TT. It's 100% capable of correcting and converting the TT output to HDMI.
Last edited by dhedberg on Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
mrbombermillzy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by mrbombermillzy »

FatRakoon wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:54 pm I wont waste time explaining the TT VGA output.

The display aint quite right and I have neen playing with my TT more and more and I now have 4 screen that are all doing the same thing.

Does any adapter exist that will allow us to have a perfectly crisp display on a new VGA screen?
Hey, its my drumming tutor! lol Hows it going? :cheers:

Anyway, onto the original question. From what Ive experienced with the 2 TTs Ive had, Im going to say 'no'.

Unless theres a fancy adapter that regenerates the signal or something, as the TT seems to be very noisy. I dont think the sprayed on shielding is much good either.
I have quite a high mains hum from audio and an ECL to VGA adapter (Codekiller version) which the output from is quite noisy. I can tolerate it, but it could be much better.

Or maybe my TT needs a service! :D
susher

Post by susher »

There is quite a lot of bus noise on the display. That's just the poor design of the motherboard.
FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

mrbombermillzy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:54 pm Hey, its my drumming tutor! lol Hows it going? :cheers:
AH! HaHa, yeah, its going funky my friend.

I tel you something, My Alesis DM5 Pro has an issue with the HiHat pedal randomly tapping. Not a huge issue, but a small annoyance.
Anyway, I took my DD65 over to a mates boat on the Quay along with a keyboard and with his guitar and a friends, we had a few jamming sessions... Nothing fancy, just messing about and having a giggle.
Anyay, I left my DD65 there, only to then realise that he has ggone back to Liverpool until after xmas.

My DM5, Idecided to get some isopropyl alcohol to try cleaning up the contacts / motherboard to try solving this hihat thing and now its stuck as if I am hammering the Snare and crash cymbols 1000BMP ( Not merasured, they are just hammering like crazy )

Anyway, I tried leaving it on a radiator all night and I have left it in the airing cupboard for 2 weeks, and it still does it - its now been 4 or 5 weeks and I might try it again, but I kind of gave up last week and I fount one on ebay ( Just the module ) and so I bought it.

Then the very day it arrived, my mate phoned me up from the boat and said he had come down and do I want to pick up the DD65 and keyboards!

Bloody hell. Typical or what?

Anyway, I hope you have managed to get somewhere.

mrbombermillzy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:54 pm Anyway, onto the original question. From what Ive experienced with the 2 TTs Ive had, Im going to say 'no'.

Unless theres a fancy adapter that regenerates the signal or something, as the TT seems to be very noisy. I dont think the sprayed on shielding is much good either.
I have quite a high mains hum from audio and an ECL to VGA adapter (Codekiller version) which the output from is quite noisy. I can tolerate it, but it could be much better.

Or maybe my TT needs a service! :D
This is my second TT and the yboth had 100% identical displays.

My original scren for this was a 12" colour CRT screen that gave me a very clean crisp display that had a small niggle in that the border on the right side of the screen was huge. I could adjust the width of the display somewhatm however not fully, but I just got used to it.

A few years ago, I got hold of a 16" CRT and it was old stock, but unopened and so was new, and it was agreat scren, but alas taht also had teh same fuzzy display as the LCD & TFT Screens so I got shot of it.

I asked about the best screen for the TT and was told this model, so I hunted high and low and I found that exact model and paid a fair whack for it, but it was EXACTLY the same as my rubbish screen. I probably still have that screen... Im thinking it was the Ezio Flexiscan but I might be wrong.
They are crisp on the Falcon but the TT its fuzzy as hell.

Can I live with it? Well in truth, if I had to, then sure, I could, but Id rather not. My eyes are bad at my age as it is and with me now being diabetic, they are only getting worse.

Sheilding?
Actually, my 2 TTs had a few differences.the STRAM was on a flat board that spanned across 2 posts IIRC and I am sure that BOTH the TTs do that, however the STRAM is different. Im not going to open the one I got left up, but might do some other time, but the first one I had, took 4xSIMMS and this one had 4xSIPS - or the other way round? Cos I unsoldered the SIPS and soldered in SIM SLOTS myself as it was only 2MB IIRC.
Also, the 68030 CPU was on a daughterboard on one of them too! weirdly, Im thinking its this one for some strange reason, but at teh same time, my first one had a CaTTamaran and I bloody well regret slling that, but when you have a 120MHZ Falcon 060, you dont need a 48Mhz 030 do you?

Annoyng cos the TT ran 100% of all my software, the Falcon simply does not.

Anyway, where the hell am I going with this again?

Ah yeah the sheilding... One also had the spray on sheilding and the other has an actual metal shield... Ah yeah this one has that, I know that much, cos I was going to replace the internal SCSI cable as the conector is broken, but after half stripping it down, I gave up, but at least its had a nice clean.

basically, I think that the VGA fuzzy display has nothing to do with sheilding, not even its age. I think ( and I am sure I read this, so its not just one of my usual claims out of my a55h0l3 but when the TT was designed and built, the VGA standard was NOT 100% set, and so Atari did one of their usual things and made it close to compatible... I suppose maybe in he wame way that they did the ST's ACSI - almost SCSI port? or even teh floppy drives?

I dunno?
FatRakoon
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by FatRakoon »

susher wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:34 pm There is quite a lot of bus noise on the display. That's just the poor design of the motherboard.
I can go with that, but then that would not explain why its a crisp display on some older CRT screens.

Return to “Professionals”