What voltage for a quiet psu fan replacement?

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

thesofa2
Atari freak
Atari freak

What voltage for a quiet psu fan replacement?

Post by thesofa2 »

What voltage fan do I need to replace the noisy fan in my TT030 psu?
TT030 with Storm with 256 Mb Ram, Thunder with a CF drive and Lightning, HxC floppy emulator and one of Codekiller's magical Mono/Colour switchers, 1040 STE, also 3 STS one has TOS1.0 AND 2.06 switchable with an HD drive, the other two are untested as yet, just bought for spares!!
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Re: What voltage for a quiet psu fan replacement?

Post by stormy »

There is an entire thread literally right underneath this one with people discussing replacement fans for the TT, have a read: https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=40746
thesofa2
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by thesofa2 »

I read that and searched for Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX and found a 12 v one and a 5 v one
TT030 with Storm with 256 Mb Ram, Thunder with a CF drive and Lightning, HxC floppy emulator and one of Codekiller's magical Mono/Colour switchers, 1040 STE, also 3 STS one has TOS1.0 AND 2.06 switchable with an HD drive, the other two are untested as yet, just bought for spares!!
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

You need 12v
thesofa2
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by thesofa2 »

Thank you
scsilord
Atariator
Atariator

Post by scsilord »

You can run the 12V fan on 7V to make it even more quiet. Use +12V as the fan+ and +5V as the fan-, it's a very old casemodding trick.
Only do that if the TT030 isn't full of extra add-ins like a VME graphics card, they do add up in power consumption and PSU heat.

People might want to hang me for this, but you could remove the plastic case fan grill and replace it with a 6x6 metal fan grill. It will greatly improve airflow, just take your time to do it nicely.
ragnar76
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by ragnar76 »

People might want to hang me for this, but you could remove the plastic case fan grill and replace it with a 6x6 metal fan grill. It will greatly improve airflow, just take your time to do it nicely.
I have 4 TTs and every case was modded before i got them. So, it is very common to remove the grill
• FireBee • Falcon060 • Falcon040 • Falcon030 • MiSTer • TT • (Mega)STe • Suska III-C • (Mega)ST •
stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

You guys need to read all the warnings of blowing your TT PSU in that other thread I linked...
dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Post by dhedberg »

Indeed! Be careful, it's not that easy to find a replacement PSU for the TT PSU and if it fails it may ruin the motherboard! The TT PSU needs the airflow!
Last edited by dhedberg on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org.
Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo It's that time of the year again, or click here to feel the JOY.
thesofa2
Atari freak
Atari freak

Post by thesofa2 »

Bought one and installed it seems a bit quieter, Thanks guys.

Return to “Professionals”