Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., lp, Moderator Team

tyk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: MiNT --> GEM

Post by tyk »

mikro wrote:
tyk wrote:Is there any documentation how to make MetaDOS drivers?
Sure it is: http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/files/Me ... 3-1989.pdf (official by Atari), http://patrice.mandin.pagesperso-orange ... os-bos.txt (by Patrice Mandin)

You can get an example of a file system driver here: https://github.com/aranym/aranym/tree/m ... fs/metados
Thanks. that Patrice's text really give useful information. That official doesn't help much (I had that already), I had somewhere information that Atari released 1991 newer version that Dev Doc, but I haven't see it anywhere.
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

Sorry for bringing back an old topic. I just tried GEM=ROM out of curiosity in my Mint.cnf and all I get is a white screen with this text:

pid 3 (GEM): KILLED. INVALID PROTECTION MODE. Please change protection mode to 'super' in the program header
pid 1 (GEM): Oops: no command line for MiNT (pid 4)

Suggestions welcome :)
(machine is TT)
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

EDIT: do not worry, I solved it. I needed securelevel = 0 in my mint cnf. Was using 1.
Falcon CT60e 060 - 256mb ram - Phantom bus and DSP accelerated // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - ATI Mach64 2mb
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Since you brought it up, can GEM=TOS492 (with the bin available)?
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

You mean loading an external ROM-TOS? No, that is not supported. Also, IIRC, GEM=ROM is also still broken somewhat, in that the keyboard input is blocked (using nohog2.acc can be used to work around that)
stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by stormy »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:27 pm You mean loading an external ROM-TOS? No, that is not supported. Also, IIRC, GEM=ROM is also still broken somewhat, in that the keyboard input is blocked (using nohog2.acc can be used to work around that)
Thorsten I also noticed my Lightning VME USB drivers did not load. Is this a bug?
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:27 pm You mean loading an external ROM-TOS? No, that is not supported. Also, IIRC, GEM=ROM is also still broken somewhat, in that the keyboard input is blocked (using nohog2.acc can be used to work around that)
Someday, will get around to building a switchable 3 ROM board for the Falcon. TOS/4.92/MagiC :)
Make that 4, EMUTos is coming along nicely :)
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

stormy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:44 pm Thorsten I also noticed my Lightning VME USB drivers did not load. Is this a bug?
I don't have experience with this, but i guess it's just a setup issue (wrong driver, or in the wrong directory). Maybe you should try one of the pre-configured bootable builds (https://bintray.com/freemint/freemint/s ... estVersion)
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

Last time I tried it (~2 months ago), the drivers loaded just fine.
simonsunnyboy

Post by simonsunnyboy »

Is NOHOG2.ACC still required if the EmuTOS AES is used?
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Maybe not, but i did not try yet. The problem with official TOS in ROM is, that the whole desktop runs in super-visor mode all the time, and that prevents task-switches when using mint.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

How does the Multitos installer load that AES? I've test it with MiNT up to 1.17. Those after don't work with it.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

It is not loaded at all. GEM=ROM means it uses whatever AES is installed in ROM, instead running xaloader or similar.

Edit: oh, you mean multitos. That's totally different, since there is a separate AES.SYS that just contains the AES but nothing else.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Not to complicate this discussion :)
Tried using GEM=ROM, appears it only loads the AES, as it never gets to the actual TOS desktop (white screen, busy bee), unless missing something.
Main reason to try MiNT like this was to access the video mode menu, and change SV resolutions this way (as under TOS).
I've used the SV under MultiTOS, TBH, with respect to the SV it's a much more efficient setup.

I need to review the CFG file from the Multitos disk.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

You should also check NEWDESK.INF. TOS is rather picky about its format, for example i once had a NEWDESK.INF that was saved from TOS 3, then loaded it on TOS 4. That also gave similar problems, because TOS 4 expected the 'E' the line to have 10 values, but TOS 3 only saves 8 (the additional bytes are for the falcon video modes). When that happens, the AES calls Vsetscreen with some bogus falcon video mode.
neanderthal
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by neanderthal »

About the broken thing,wonder if that is the reason why I on my 1.15.12 install based on a easymint thing had problems with doing ctrl-c when entering Gem..But just for some amount of key-strokes.After some key-strokes it works ok for some reason?

Tho this is when starting Gem via 'execgem' either via the the startup shell or in /etc/ttytab,,might be handled differently to GEM=ROM?

Did a kernel source dig and simply for the time being fixed it with add to a place where there already was a signal filter.
So added SIGINT (ctrl-c if got that right) to it and resulted on init not being killed by accident via Gem.

Anywho,,feels like something that kernel maybe should not do depending on what one wants the kernel to be like?
Atleast I get no accidental hangup now on startup of Gem,altho feels weird to have key-combos just not acted upon in the start.
Feels like some odd leak between layers or something.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm You should also check NEWDESK.INF. TOS is rather picky about its format, for example i once had a NEWDESK.INF that was saved from TOS 3, then loaded it on TOS 4. That also gave similar problems, because TOS 4 expected the 'E' the line to have 10 values, but TOS 3 only saves 8 (the additional bytes are for the falcon video modes). When that happens, the AES calls Vsetscreen with some bogus falcon video mode.
Right, have had newdesk.inf cause problems before.
Eliminated that as the source.
Only acc is nohog
Messed around with boot up resolutions and SV resolutions.

All I get is a white screen and cursor bee.
The mouse works, and can tell resolution is being set as the bee changes sizes as you would expect.
So it's getting past the autofolder and assume loading acc files.
Just seems to be hanging on loading the built in desktop.

In the MiNT cfg file, change made to the working setup are to comment out GEM= some directory structure/xaes.prg
and
INIT same directory/xaes.prg
GEM=ROM

Tried to take the SV out of the equation, which will be a pain without creating a complete MiNT back up.
From Vanilla MiNT, disabling the network only renames network.cfg to *.CF, requiring more hand editing to avoid breaking other network tools being called.

I glanced at the "old" MultiTos config file. It does indeed use GEM=*.sys, the AES (and desktop) on the Atari MultiTos installation disk. I see a 1.16 and 1.17 binary in the archived folder, must of tested them at one point.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

neanderthal wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:12 pm
About the broken thing,wonder if that is the reason why I on my 1.15.12 install based on a easymint thing had problems with doing ctrl-c when entering Gem..But just for some amount of key-strokes.After some key-strokes it works ok for some reason?

Tho this is when starting Gem via 'execgem' either via the the startup shell or in /etc/ttytab,,might be handled differently to GEM=ROM?

Did a kernel source dig and simply for the time being fixed it with add to a place where there already was a signal filter.
So added SIGINT (ctrl-c if got that right) to it and resulted on init not being killed by accident via Gem.

Anywho,,feels like something that kernel maybe should not do depending on what one wants the kernel to be like?
Atleast I get no accidental hangup now on startup of Gem,altho feels weird to have key-combos just not acted upon in the start.
Feels like some odd leak between layers or something.
Was toying with MiNT config setting, still i the learning phase.
Not a fan of catching or buffering, but different topic.
Think in this thread read where the BIOS buffer takes keyboard input and holds it until the next cycle. Is it possible what you're seeing is a large buffer filling up, then a stumble when it outputs to screen?
Something like that :)
marcello
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by marcello »

GEM=ROM with nohog.acc is definitely working with TOS 2.0.6 and latest mint
console messages cover some times part of the desktop, but it is still usable.
STMint, try Unix on your 68000 Atari http://subsole.org/st_mint
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by BlankVector »

Remember that when using GEM=ROM in MINT.CNF you must comment out any INIT= line. Both are mutually exclusive.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Manipulate 16-pixel groups in assembly language.
mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by mikro »

marcello wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:21 amconsole messages cover some times part of the desktop, but it is still usable.
You can catch them in TosWin2's console (even configure TosWin2 to automatically open its console on such event).
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

With GEM=ROM you usually have no multitasking AES, so there won't be any Toswin2 running either ;)

Actually, we should make sure that such messages are only written to the boot.log, but not printed on the console.
joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Post by joska »

With a singletasking AES you would normally use the old console ACC to catch console output. I can't remember what it was called, Miniwin maybe?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega STE - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Rustynutt wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:37 pm How does the Multitos installer load that AES? I've test it with MiNT up to 1.17. Those after don't work with it.
Doing another look, i think GEM=AES.SYS in mint.cnf should do that. But i did not try yet.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

joska wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm With a singletasking AES you would normally use the old console ACC to catch console output. I can't remember what it was called, Miniwin maybe?
Saw Miniwin on the MultiTos disk

Return to “Professionals”