new Nova drivers

Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Idek Tramielski
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: new Nova drivers

Post by Idek Tramielski »

Cyprian wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:52 pm will this modification work with 2MB ET4000/W32i ?
https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=41291
No.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Re: new type 8 Nova ET4000 driver

Post by Rustynutt »

Idek Tramielski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:10 pm
Rustynutt wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:37 pm
Not necessary, the Falcon ET4000 drivers have been tested okay on a standard (no AB-) Falcon.
Speaking of the Afterburner :)
Was reading back through V4.XX of the AB Tool Kit driver set up. There are some DMA options available where individual devices (disk driver, floppy) can have the cache(s) frozen during access, not requiring manually switching them on and off.

Doug (Little) mentions the NOVA doesn't "like" it's hardware cached, and goes on to say "fortunately, the I and D caches don't have to be disabled as the video driver has its own way of managing this".

I've not used the more extensively configurable V4 AB040 drivers before.
See there are "68040.VID" drivers for specific resolution depths included.
Those are not included with V5.X of the Tool Kit, and have found the data cache must not be enabled while the NOVA ATI Falcon drivers are being loaded (auto folder), or, when using Menu or Video mode setup.

Do you think he's talking about the included video drivers with the Tool Kit, or the NOVA ATI Falcon drivers themselves?
There's not a lot of detail in the documents.
Idek Tramielski
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Idek Tramielski »

I can't say much about the AB drivers. This was all too long ago for me since I owned the AB.
I (try to) disable the caches whenever I access the registers of the card(s) and re-enable them right after that.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

That sounds right then.
After the drivers load, the caches can be left on no problem.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Post by Rustynutt »

Hope this isn't too off topic here.
Has anyone ever backed up the 2 EPROMS on the ATI MACH 64?
Does the card access these frequently enough to justify burning a faster EPROM?
Don't know the bus interface, running this card on a 23MHz bus.
Rustynutt
Atari God
Atari God

Re: new type 8 Nova ET4000 driver

Post by Rustynutt »

Idek Tramielski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:10 pm
Rustynutt wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:37 pm Apologies to you Idek. Was moving from testing MACH64 drivers on the Afterburner to try the ET4000 cards, and now can't find them :(
Remember a box with several. Thinking I may have given then away because not having a use at the time.
Is there a best ET4000 card option from your site, or do they all pretty much perform the same way?
Obviously, you have a lot of time invested in the drivers, I don't mind purchasing a few to test.
Regards,
Not necessary, the Falcon ET4000 drivers have been tested okay on a standard (no AB-) Falcon.
Found an ET4000 video card. Was tucked away. Unfortunately it is a PCI version.
Think possibly the ISA cards were excessed long before discussion of the ET drivers for the Falcon NOVA were realized.

Thanks again :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “News & Announcements”