Networking with Hatari?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.3.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Networking with Hatari?

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:22 am As noted above, a driver for STinG maybe. I'm working on that, too. But i since i never used STinG directly, i could need some advice in how to set it up, and what application i can use for testing.

I just set STiNG up for the Panther/2 and it was very easy. The HYP file is very clear and easy to follow. You can set it up for any number of devices depending on the driver. I updated the TCP driver to v140 which I got from here http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/PDA/ ... Comm.shtml
stinghyp.zip

Near the bottom of this webpage in the Software section is a good rundown on what is needed to set up STiNG http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/Ethernec.

Basically, you have the drivers/STX modules in C:\STiNG as well as DEFAULT.CFG and ROUTE.TAB which should edited appropriately for each setup. The STING.PRG and STING.INF go in the AUTO folder. STING.INF points to where the STiNG drivers are (usually C:/STiNG, but doesn't have to be).

Then the CPX files. STNGPORT.CPX being the important one for Ethernet. That's basically it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:24 am
GokMasE wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:56 pm I worked around it somewhat by booting into EmuTOS only when I need to transfer files between images and Host OS.
I mount the image on linux in order to populate it. There is only one partition on it, at offset 1024. Just don't forget do unmount it again before starting Hatari, that is likely to corrupt it. Using mtools should also work.
I edit the files on Linux, and just re-generate new HD image from the directory where the files are with "atari-hd-image" script (included with Hatari).
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Doing some progress:
Screenshot_20210513_163115.png
The picture shows Hatari running, while the host pings it in the background.

The other direction only works partially so far:
Screenshot_20210513_163923.png
Screenshot_20210513_163943.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GokMasE »

That looks incredibly promising! I need to prepare for upcoming tests I see. I certainly have to look up that stuff needed for it to work with windows as host OS.
MegaSTEarian
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by MegaSTEarian »

Very nice!
Thanks @ThorstenOtto
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

GokMasE wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:26 pm I certainly have to look up that stuff needed for it to work with windows as host OS.
You can already try to get network working with aranym. From windows side, it will be the same configuration.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Doing some more progress, but "pinging" the host from Hatari still seems to stop after a while. Part of the problem in my first tests seems to be that the original tool that comes with STinG seems to use a too low interval (100ms) between packets sent, and someone on the path (router/bridge/hosts) seems to drop those packages because of "flooding". So i updated the tool, which now looks like this:
Screenshot_20210517_201229.png
Leaving the number of packets at 0 will now cause it to ping until you stop it (by clicking the cancel button, or pressing "Esc").

As i'm not sure whether the packet drops are a bug in the driver, or maybe a bug in sting itself, can someone please test it in some other environment? The tool does not depend on the new driver.
GokMasE
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by GokMasE »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:33 am As i'm not sure whether the packet drops are a bug in the driver, or maybe a bug in sting itself, can someone please test it in some other environment? The tool does not depend on the new driver.
I suppose the ping tool is meant to be used exclusively with STinG? At least it does not work under mintnet/gluestik, where it throws an error "Cannot set ICMP handler".
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Yes, although gluestik is designed to emulate StinG, setting a custom ICMP handler is not (yet) supported. And it would not be the same anyway, since it only emulates the higher level interface, and redirects calls to the mintnet functions. What i meant was to try it on SingleTOS, with only STinG working.
ThorstenOtto
Atari God
Atari God

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I get the feeling that the packet drops are neither a bug in the driver, nor in STinG, but just another problem of my bridge setup (see also https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&start=25). Pinging hosts outside of my LAN works flawlessly:
Screenshot_20210519_161228.png
Also, running traceroute inside aranym/mint to my host does not get any answer, so i guess the bridge still just drops some packets.

So for now, i think the first version should be finished, and we have to wait until the patches for Hatari have been integrated.

If someone wants to take a look: sources are available at https://github.com/th-otto/STinG/tree/m ... orts/nfeth

Return to “Hatari”