art applications

Discuss your favourite artists, styles, art packages and much more in this section

Moderator: Moderator Team

neotokyo
Retro freak
Retro freak

art applications

Post by neotokyo »

so I was reading the wiki page for amiga and there is a fair few interesting media apps that were released on it which I wanted to tinker around with.
It also found a prominent role in the desktop video, video production, and show control business, leading to video editing systems such as the Video Toaster.
The relatively powerful processor and ability to access several megabytes of memory enabled the development of 3D rendering packages, including LightWave 3D, Imagine, Aladdin4D, TurboSilver and Traces, a predecessor to Blender.
I don't really fancy picking up an amiga for the price they go for just to experiment with old skool graphics and multimedia programs, was interested in if atari st had anything to rival this sort of thing? even if it meant additional hardware purchases (like with the videotoaster) or was it simply not possible to do 3d rendering on par with lightwave or similar apps or multimedia video editing on a 1040 ste?
Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: art applications

Post by Mug UK »

There was POV (public domain) renderer, GFA 3D and the Autodesk series of applications. But nothing, to my mind, was of much use until the Falcon came out and then a lot more tools were developed for that machine.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk
lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by lp »

Last edited by lp on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by Eero Tamminen »

neotokyo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm
It also found a prominent role in the desktop video, video production, and show control business, leading to video editing systems such as the Video Toaster.
The relatively powerful processor and ability to access several megabytes of memory enabled the development of 3D rendering packages, including LightWave 3D, Imagine, Aladdin4D, TurboSilver and Traces, a predecessor to Blender.
Amiga Toaster & LightWave were used professionally in smaller scale TV productions, so they were quite far ahead of what was on Atari. Atari was used professionally for things like music (Cubase, Notator etc) and desktop publishing (Calamus etc).
neotokyo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm ...was it simply not possible to do 3d rendering on par with lightwave or similar apps or multimedia video editing on a 1040 ste?
3D is too heavy for 8Mhz machine [1]. Just to calculate wire frame representation at reasonable speed with enough accuracy in the editing program, you'd really need an FPU. Antic 3D program was pretty good try for base ST though, and later became what's currently known as AutoDesk 3D studio.

Thought of trying doing video editing on 16 color 8Mhz STE is pretty weird, and not just for speed reasons. 256 colors would be minimum (TT planar mode is too slow, it should be chunky -> needs additional video card), or preferably HiColor/TrueColor (Falcon memory bandwidth would be a bottleneck). Storing video data is done in compressed format, so reading & writing is better done with HW having specific compression support.

The free M_PLAYER allows both viewing & editing videos (on TT & Falcon), you might want to try that: https://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/mplayere.htm

[1] I used Pov-Ray command line utilities to do raytracing on 4MB Atari STfm with a monochrome monitor. 16x16 or 32x32 previews of very simple scenes could be gotten in <1 hour, final renders of them (at 320x200) took over night or longer.
penguin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by penguin »

neotokyo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm I don't really fancy picking up an amiga for the price they go for just to experiment with old skool graphics and multimedia programs, was interested in if atari st had anything to rival this sort of thing? even if it meant additional hardware purchases (like with the videotoaster) or was it simply not possible to do 3d rendering on par with lightwave or similar apps or multimedia video editing on a 1040 ste?
There were advanced animation programs like the Cyber series or Imagine (which had a special programming language). The STE is obviously limited by the max. colours on screen (16) for multimedia applications. More interesting programs such as Apex Media or Neon Grafix demand a Falcon or TT. The STE (like the ST) was never marketed as a multimedia machine and didn't inspire companies to develop such programs.

The problem with all Ataris prior to the TT is that you cannot easily extend their capabilities with additional hardware purchase.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: https://www.atariuptodate.de
ST-Computer magazine - https://www.st-computer.org/
arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by arf »

neotokyo wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm I don't really fancy picking up an amiga for the price they go for just to experiment with old skool graphics and multimedia programs, was interested in if atari st had anything to rival this sort of thing? even if it meant additional hardware purchases (like with the videotoaster) or was it simply not possible to do 3d rendering on par with lightwave or similar apps or multimedia video editing on a 1040 ste?
Creator from Application Systems Heidelberg. STaD.

Return to “Discussion”