Latest news in the Atari world

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

new release of TTF-GDOS

Post by trevorbl »

HI All,

After a record breaking 20 years, I''m announcing TTF-GDOS version 2.3.

What's new?

Apart from a couple of bug fixes and minor code tweaks, the big deal is includes ttf2gem.prg. This is a utility that creates gem font files from true type files using the freetype font hinting engine.

TTF-GDOS was designed to be small and fast (and achievable), so it omitted font hinting. This means that gem fonts (ie bitmaps) need to be used for screen fonts at small sizes.
ttf2gem is the plug that fills this hole, but it was never completed until now - better late than never.

It's here --> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ttf-gdos/

It will be interesting to see how many use dtp or graphics in their retro computing, but I hope we all agree that the needs to be an open source GDOS available for the atari series.
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: new release of TTF-GDOS

Post by Faucon2001 »

Welcome back.
I fully agree with you, we have emutos, mint, fvdi for the screen but we miss an open source alternative for GDOS. So it's an excellent news to know that it is developed again.
I mainly use on my Atari's : Works, Papyrus, Texel, Kandinsky, Papillon and Calamus. So quite a few using GDOS.

How does ttf-gdos compare with speedo GDOS or NVDI ?
Does it manage colours ?
Is the use of gem fonts mandatory for screen, I mean on fast machines?
Regarding printer driver, do you know how to develop new ones?
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon CT60, STE, BeeKey, BeePi.
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

Where is ttf2gem.prg ? I can see the source folder but not the prg.

Correction : I found it into the file section on SourceForge, but it's absent from the archive.
Philippe

stormy
Atari God
Atari God

Post by stormy »

I always get confused by gdos because it often does more than one thing. For instance nvdi, gives fonts and screen acceleration. Is gdos not necessarily one but not the other? Do they always go hand in hand? Is gdos primarily about allowing font rendering?
penguin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by penguin »

stormy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:53 pm I always get confused by gdos because it often does more than one thing. For instance nvdi, gives fonts and screen acceleration. Is gdos not necessarily one but not the other? Do they always go hand in hand? Is gdos primarily about allowing font rendering?
GDOS is basically an extension (some might say "a missing part") of VDI allowing font rendering on various devices (not only to the screen or printer). NVDI started out as a screen accelerator only (hence "New VDI"), but later integrated the features of GDOS. I'm not aware of any other screen accelerator that also happens to include GDOS.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: https://www.atariuptodate.de
ST-Computer magazine - https://www.st-computer.org/
atarian90
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Post by atarian90 »

I'm confused about what this does. Is it a replacement for the original GDOS 1.1 that...no one liked. :( I remember the slowdown was sad...
Or...
Does this replace SpeedGDOS?
Does it work with NVDI but you have to turn off the font manager part so that it doesn't conflict with TTF-GDOS?

Thanks
trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Basically, the purpose of any gdos is to add fonts and allow graphics printing, and that's what ttf-gdos does.
Apart from that it just passes grahics command to the printer or screen, so if you app & printer both support colour, then ttf-gdos should not get in the way.

IF we say gdos 1.1 is first generation, fontgdos is the second and speedo/nvdi is the third,
then ttf-gdos is second generation - ie it adds font caching and bezier curves.
ttf-gdos doesn't do screen acceleration, and I haven't tried it with nvdi.

Internally, ttf-gdos uses true type files to generate gem fonts if they don't already exist on disk.
So, it's not a replacement for speedo or nvdi, but it is a replacement for fontgdos.
What this means in practice is that you define the fonts and point sizes in advance, and your app offers you a selection of these (and only these) point sizes.

I wrote it for these reasons:
- fontgdos was slow and had too many bugs
- gemfonts for 300dpi & 360 dpi printers consumed too much disk space, true type fonts used much less.
- to take advantage of the much wider variety of true type fonts available

>Is the use of gem fonts mandatory for screen, I mean on fast machines?
Not mandatory, but highly recommended. To display accurately on screen, true type fonts need hinting - nudging the outlines to align with the pixel grid. Adding this would have made ttf-gdos too big & slow (and taken too long to develop), so it was abandoned early on, in favour of ttf2gem. This also means ttf-gdos performs well on a plain vanilla st/ste.

Regarding printer driver, do you know how to develop new ones?
Printer drivers? ttf-gdos uses the standard fontgdos or gdos drivers, so ttf-gdos offers nothing new there.
( I do have an epson stylus 360 dpi driver made from a hacked bubble jet driver - maybe I could post that somewhere if anyone is interested). So some idea how to develop one, but not much. If you're interested in that area, this might be relevant:

http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/archive ... world.html

The GEMFULL link contains the GPL'd sources of DRI's drivers for PC GEM.
I had a quick look, there's some x86 assembler there, and I think the way it deals with images is different from the way Atari drivers work.

I'll fix up the missing ttg2gem.prg, thanks for pointing that out.
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

I have tried TTF-GDOS with TOS 1.62.
It's booting now normally but Timeworks fontwid refuse to scan the fonts and therefore Timeworks doesn't work.
I have in the auto folder TTF-GDOS and FIX-FWID.PRG
In assign.sys I have uncommented the lines with & arial.tff .... and generated the ttf-gdos.inf
Still not working
Last edited by Faucon2001 on Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philippe

ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

Faucon2001 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm Regarding printer driver, do you know how to develop new ones?
The "official" interface is rather simple. The entry point of your executable is called the same way as the VDI trap, d1 pointing to the VDI parameter block. If you want to write a driver in C, all you have to do is to replace the normal C runtime startup by a small code fragment that pushes D1 on the stack (for GNU-C), or to a0 (for Pure-C), then calls your dispatcher. That dispatcher then just has to react on the various VDI opcodes, and populate the intout/ptsout arrays. Eventually you also may have to install your own stack during startup, depending on how much stack space you need.

So it may look like this:

Code: Select all

.xdef entry
	.xref PRINTER

entry:
	/*
	 * set up our own stack first. We cannot rely on the kernels stack
	 * to be large enough
	 */
	move.l  a6,-(a7)
	movea.l a7,a6
	lea gdos_stack_end,a7
	move.l	d1,a0       /* for fastcall ABI */
	move.l  d1,-(a7)    /* for cdecl ABI */
	bsr     PRINTER
	/* no need to correct stack; unlk already does that */
	unlk a6
	rts

.bss

gdos_stack:
	.ds.b 32000
gdos_stack_end:
	.ds.l 1
Badwolf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Post by Badwolf »

trevorbl wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:41 am It will be interesting to see how many use dtp or graphics in their retro computing, but I hope we all agree that the needs to be an open source GDOS available for the atari series.
Hi Trevorbl,

I can't test this myself right now, but I must say I really like the idea and hope to get around to trying it out later.

Well done! :D

BW
DFB1 Open source 50MHz 030 and TT-RAM accelerator for the Falcon
DSTB1 Open source 16Mhz 68k and AltRAM accelerator for the ST
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
FrontBench The Frontier: Elite 2 intro as a benchmark
trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Faucon2001:
> I have tried TTF-GDOS with TOS 1.62.
> It's booting now normally but Timeworks fontwid refuse to scan the fonts and therefore Timeworks doesn't work.

It's a long time since I did this, so can't give a quick answer. I'll get back in a couple of days.
I've got timeworks 1 and the hatari emulator, so I'll try that.
trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Faucon2001 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:47 pm I have tried TTF-GDOS with TOS 1.62.
It's booting now normally but Timeworks fontwid refuse to scan the fonts and therefore Timeworks doesn't work.
I have in the auto folder TTF-GDOS and FIX-FWID.PRG
In assign.sys I have uncommented the lines with & arial.tff .... and generated the ttf-gdos.inf
Still not working
OK, I've now tried Timeworks 1 with ttf-gdos, it works fine for me.

Timeworks 1 calculates its width files after loading the fonts, so if you're using timeworks 1, you can forget fix-fontwid.prg.

If you're using Timeworks 2, you need to put fix-fontwid.prg in the same directory as fontwid.app. Run fix-fwid.app instead of fontwid.app when timeworks says so. Fix-fwid.prg sets up the fonts then calls fontwid.app for you.

The line with "& arial.tff" needs to commented. The ass-conv.ttp converter sees line starting with ";&" as your true type file. THe comment is there so your assign.sys is compatible between gdos and ttf-gdos.

There's a handy utility called drv_rpt.prg in the ttf-gdos download - it is in the utils directory. It reports all the fonts and drivers that gdos/ttf-gdos uses, so can help figure out if something isn't right.

here's my assign.sys file

Code: Select all

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;
; drivers & fonts for timeworks 1
;

path = c:\stapps\publish\gemsys
01p screen.sys ; DEFAULT
;Printer is HP Laserjet 2 @300dpi
02p screen.sys ; LOW RESOLUTION
03p screen.sys ; MEDIUM RESOLUTION
04r screen80.sys ; HIGH RESOLUTION
arial10.fnt
arial12.fnt
arial18.fnt
times10.fnt
times12.fnt
times18.fnt
comic10.fnt
comic12.fnt
comic14.fnt
cour10.fnt
cour12.fnt
cour14.fnt

shdb07.fnt
shdb10.fnt
shdb14.fnt
shdb18.fnt
shdb36.fnt

21 printer.sys

;& arial.ttf (2) 10,12,18,24,36
;& times.ttf (14) 10,12,18,24,36
;& comic.ttf (68) 10,12,14
;& cour.ttf (15) 10,12,14

; cache = 350

trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Faucon2001 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:30 pm Regarding printer driver, do you know how to develop new ones?
The entry point of your executable is called the same way as the VDI trap, d1 pointing to the VDI parameter block. If you want to write a driver in C, all you have to do is to replace the normal C runtime startup by a small code fragment that pushes D1 on the stack (for GNU-C), or to a0 (for Pure-C), then calls your dispatcher. That dispatcher then just has to react on the various VDI opcodes, and populate the intout/ptsout arrays.
I can add a couple of points to this:

Thd driver knows about raster coordinates only, conversion to and from ndc is handled by gdos.
The driver returns a flag to indicate whether the y coordinates are absolute or relative.
This matters when converting, because the y origin is at the top of the screen for raster coords and at the bottom for ndc.
So, say a cell width in raster coords needs to be scaled to get ndc coordinates, but a coordinate position needs to be reoriented to the ndc origin then scaled to get ndc coordinates. see the variable yscale in ttf-gdos.c for more details

For the vst_load_fonts() api, the fontchain is passed in contrl[10] & [11]. A buffer pointer is passed via contrl[7] & contrl[8], its size is in contrl[9], roughly 1.5k for a hi rez screen. This buffer is used by the driver to generate bold & outline effects.
In ttf-gdos, this is handled in the file font.c. (In ttf-gdos, this buffer is also used to generate edge lists when converting from ttf outlines to gem bitmaps.)

The fonts also must be in motorola format when passed to the driver. So the old GDOS converts intel format fonts to motorola format to pass to the driver, but cannot do the same for motorola format fonts.

Finally, for fontgdos drivers, there is a header data structure (but its actually near the end). It starts with the string "_FSM_HDR", then 40 bytes after that is a 16 bit word for the page size, as follows:

0x0000 = us letter
0x0001 = us legal
0x0002 = A4
0x0003 = a5

50 bytes after the "_FSM_HDR" string is a readable printer name (26 character I think)

As far as I know, the only way to access this info is to scan thru the driver file looking for the "_FSM_HDR" string.
viking272
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by viking272 »

Good work trevorbl, enjoyed this update.
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

Thanks it works now. I use Timeworks 1.02 and it needs fontwid.prg to be run every time you change a font, otherwise it won't start or display wrong spacing. In my case I had to run first fix-fwid.prg and after fontwid.prg.
It could be interesting to include in one document a tutorial for the installation with all the details step by step, like the necessity to use ass-conv.ttp to generate the info file, the use of fix-fwid, etc ...

Thanks again for this great work !
Philippe

trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Faucon2001 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:42 am Thanks it works now. I use Timeworks 1.02 and it needs fontwid.prg to be run every time you change a font, otherwise it won't start or display wrong spacing. In my case I had to run first fix-fwid.prg and after fontwid.prg.
It could be interesting to include in one document a tutorial for the installation with all the details step by step, like the necessity to use ass-conv.ttp to generate the info file, the use of fix-fwid, etc ...

Thanks again for this great work !
I'm glad you've now got it working.
You should now find that with true type fonts your screen fonts always match your printer fonts.
Also the font caching means that you can add more fonts and more point sizes without using more memory.

Your idea of a step by step example is a good one - I'll do it as soon as I can
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

Well, I am not as lucky as I thought. Everything is ok on screen, but I have an issue with printing.
As you'll see on the 2 pics, this is the printout I got with GDOS (GPlus+) and TTFGDOS with HP Laserjet driver.

GPlus+ with standard GDOS fonts.
https://ibb.co/mDpknWH
TTFGDOS with TTF fonts.
https://ibb.co/wLjp4TG

I did this test with Hatari in STE TOS 1.62 emulation. Nothing excepted TTFGDOS in the Auto folder, and as accs Control Panel only.
The ttf fonts are Arial, Times New Roman and Courrier. The bitmap fonts were generated in Motorola format and for 80dpi screensys. They are ok on screen.

Any idea of what could be wrong with my setup?
Philippe

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

I have tried with Timeworks Publisher 2 instead of 1.02 and finally printing works. So the culprit was Timeworks.
Do you know other app using GDOS ?
Philippe

trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Faucon2001 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:02 pm Well, I am not as lucky as I thought. Everything is ok on screen, but I have an issue with printing.
As you'll see on the 2 pics, this is the printout I got with GDOS (GPlus+) and TTFGDOS with HP Laserjet driver.

GPlus+ with standard GDOS fonts.
https://ibb.co/mDpknWH
TTFGDOS with TTF fonts.
https://ibb.co/wLjp4TG

I did this test with Hatari in STE TOS 1.62 emulation. Nothing excepted TTFGDOS in the Auto folder, and as accs Control Panel only.
The ttf fonts are Arial, Times New Roman and Courrier. The bitmap fonts were generated in Motorola format and for 80dpi screensys. They are ok on screen.

Any idea of what could be wrong with my setup?
Now this is interesting - it's exactly what I got with the hp laser jet driver.
I replaced it with the equivalent driver from fontgdos, and it worked for me, so I thought the problem was with the timeworks driver. I hadn't tried GPlus+, but given that it works, I now know what the problem is.

If you increase the cache size in your assign.sys, it should work. For me, I changed from 350kB to 650 kB.

Why is this?

The timeworks drivers are based on the pc drivers and use display lists - they don't need the font data until the very end. With ttf-gdos, the fonts might have been replaced in the cache, so aren't there when the driver wants them. That's why only the top of the page is bad.
G=Plus has no cache, so doesn't have that problem (it can't use so many fonts either).
A fontgdos driver builds an image of the page as it receives commands, including the font data.
At printout, it has the data so doesn't need to access the fonts in the cache.
So timeworks drivers need less memory for themselves, but you need a bigger font cache. Its the other way round for the fontgdos drivers.

I wonder how do you get ptrintouts with hatari? I use ghostpcl - it's a bit indirect, and perhaps you know a better way?
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

For TimeWorks 1, changing the cache size did the trick. For TimeWorks 2 I had also to change HP Laserjet driver and use the one from FontGDOS.

Regarding pdf output, I am using GhostPCL too, but the conversion is automatised.
I am on linux and I have a script in the background monitoring the parallel file output of Hatari and once completed convert it with GhostPCL.
Philippe

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

Over the weekend, tried this new TTF-GDOS.

I defined around 100 TTF, which I use for my testing.... would be nice if you have some sort of maker for it rather than having to read all from the assign.sys. I only have TTF in my system.

The TTF worked for QED, kandinsky and Atari Works but Papyrus was not seeing any TTF. Papyrus font selector is blank. The other 3 programs shows the fonts.

Is the function vqt_ext_name implemented ?
I cannot create my PDF fonts mapping as all the fonts are of type unknown and so creating a PDF crashes.
I will look into it deeper once I find some time.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

Faucon2001 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 am For TimeWorks 1, changing the cache size did the trick. For TimeWorks 2 I had also to change HP Laserjet driver and use the one from FontGDOS.

Regarding pdf output, I am using GhostPCL too, but the conversion is automatised.
I am on linux and I have a script in the background monitoring the parallel file output of Hatari and once completed convert it with GhostPCL.
It's good to hear about your success.

I've now written a step by step guide as you suggested, and a new ttf-gdos.txt is on the files download area on sourceforge.
It's copied to the wiki there too.

If the problem with timeworks laserjet driver is the fonts at the top of the page are jumbled, then the answer could be to increase the cache again. For timeworks, the cache should be large enough to hold all the fonts that are used for the page. The timeworks drivers don't use so much memory internally, so this should be OK.

That's a neat idea for using ghostpcl, makes printing entirely seamless.
trevorbl
Atariator
Atariator

Post by trevorbl »

wongck wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:58 pm Over the weekend, tried this new TTF-GDOS.

I defined around 100 TTF, which I use for my testing.... would be nice if you have some sort of maker for it rather than having to read all from the assign.sys. I only have TTF in my system.

The TTF worked for QED, kandinsky and Atari Works but Papyrus was not seeing any TTF. Papyrus font selector is blank. The other 3 programs shows the fonts.

Is the function vqt_ext_name implemented ?
I cannot create my PDF fonts mapping as all the fonts are of type unknown and so creating a PDF crashes.
I will look into it deeper once I find some time.
100 TTF! That's way more than I have used. TTF-GDOS should handle it though, providing the apps allow you to choose from that many.

Not sure what you mean by a maker? and about reading from assign.sys? The program ass-conv.ttp reads a list of ttf filenames from assign.sys and makes the ttf-gdos.inf configuration file. I suspect this is not what you are thinking?

The function vqt_ext_name is not implemented. Internally, ttf-gdos uses ttf files to create gem fonts, so the application doesn't see any vector fonts. The vqt_ext_name() function would report only bitmapped fonts, and give little useful information.

I have tested ttf-gdos with kandinsky and atari works, and got the same results as you. I haven't tried the other two, so it's now on my TODO list.

I might be misunderstanding your point about font mapping, but ttf-gdos sends GEM bit-mapped fonts to the gdos driver. That could explain why you are seeing unknown fonts.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Post by wongck »

trevorbl wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 pm 100 TTF! That's way more than I have used. TTF-GDOS should handle it though, providing the apps allow you to choose from that many.

Not sure what you mean by a maker? and about reading from assign.sys? The program ass-conv.ttp reads a list of ttf filenames from assign.sys and makes the ttf-gdos.inf configuration file. I suspect this is not what you are thinking?

The function vqt_ext_name is not implemented. Internally, ttf-gdos uses ttf files to create gem fonts, so the application doesn't see any vector fonts. The vqt_ext_name() function would report only bitmapped fonts, and give little useful information.

I have tested ttf-gdos with kandinsky and atari works, and got the same results as you. I haven't tried the other two, so it's now on my TODO list.

I might be misunderstanding your point about font mapping, but ttf-gdos sends GEM bit-mapped fonts to the gdos driver. That could explain why you are seeing unknown fonts.
I was testing it with phpdf, a gdos pdf maker, which prints out pdf files.
Yes, 100 is a lot of TTF fonts, this is my test set for the pdf maker.

I had to enter 100 lines of ;& filename.ttf (id) size size ... into my assign.sys manually.
Normally nvdi/speedo users would not have such lines defined in the assign.sys as those gdos engines just allows a ttf font folder.
So a maker of sorts will help, no need to manually type in stuff. My guess this ttf-gdos.inf file is something called a cache in nvdi/speedo.
The (id) and size, you can already deduce on your own or just use the ttf id in the font file.
Also may be put ttf into their own folder, separate from the sys files.... not really required but keeps things tidy (especially with 100 ttf files I guess).
I hope you see these as ideas for improvement....

Sorry about the part about ttf font mapping... it's something internal for the pdf maker. As font selection is by font-id, I need to know which font is being used when creating the pdf. May be this information can be obtained from ttf-gdos.inf file itself, so no need to call vqt_ext_name().

Thanks again for creating this ttf-gdos.... I seen it ages ago but just did not try it until now.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff that are no longer for sale due to them over 30 years old - click here for list
Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Faucon2001 »

I have been playing with GDOS and Works, GemDraw and Timeworks.
I have noticed that the printing is more or less shifted by 2cm down and 5 mm to the right, also when I choose a paper size A4 the output is in letter.
I thought that it was an issue with gohstPCL conversion, but this offset and letter format is present in the PCL file.
This issue is present also with Gplus+, so it's not a bug of TTFGDOS, but I believe more a limitation of Laser Jet driver.
In works, the printing area of GDOS Laser Jet driver is 20.33 x 25.73 mm, which looks like a hard coded letter format with printer margins.
I have tried with TimeWorks and FontGDOS drivers.

Do you know if an A4 driver exists ?
Philippe

Return to “News & Announcements”