binutils 2.39

GFA, ASM, STOS, ...

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

binutils 2.39

Post by ThorstenOtto »

I've just updated binutils (as, ld, etc) for the cross compiler toolchains to version 2.39. As usual you will find it at http://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php

Amongst others, this even has a fix for m68k, as mentioned in viewtopic.php?p=437313#p437313

Note that this is considered a bit experimental, since
a) since version 2.30 a.out support has been removed for m68k, and i had to add that back in
b) i had to adjust our previous mint patches, because of some changes in the bfd library.
c) i did only a few quick tests, by recompiling a few packages with it

If you encounter any problems, please let me know.
BlankVector
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: binutils 2.39

Post by BlankVector »

Very good job, Thorsten 🙂 In my binaries, I prefer to stick to the old binutils 2.30 (last official support for m68k). But your work is very useful to keep up to date anyway. Maybe at some point that could become the only solution.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
medmed
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Post by medmed »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:07 pm I've just updated binutils (as, ld, etc) for the cross compiler toolchains to version 2.39. As usual you will find it at http://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php

Amongst others, this even has a fix for m68k, as mentioned in viewtopic.php?p=437313#p437313

a) since version 2.30 a.out support has been removed for m68k, and i had to add that back in
b) i had to adjust our previous mint patches, because of some changes in the bfd library.

Thank you very much Otto.
I don't understand what is the impact of this point:
a.out support has been removed
Many thanks

EDIT : excuse me guys for my lack with some concepts with gcc... I put the answer below if someone else ask himself about a.out

"a.out is the default executable, since you didn't tell GCC what to name it (by using -o)"
Last edited by medmed on Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
M.Medour - 1040STF, Mega STE + Spektrum card, Milan 040 + S3Video + ES1371.
OL
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by OL »

ThorstenOtto wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:07 pm I've just updated binutils (as, ld, etc) for the cross compiler toolchains to version 2.39. As usual you will find it at http://tho-otto.de/crossmint.php

Huge work Otto

thanks

Olivier
OL
TheNameOfTheGame
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by TheNameOfTheGame »

Many thanks!
shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Post by shoggoth »

Nice, thanks!
Ain't no space like PeP-space.
Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Post by Anima »

Thanks for your ongoing work to keep up with the latest versions.
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

medmed wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:28 pm I don't understand what is the impact of this point:
a.out support has been removed
atari-mint uses a.out object format (that's got nothing to do with a.out being the default output filename). a.out object format has been removed in 2.31 and above for m68k and some other targets, that means without the extra patch you wont be able to build newer binutils for m68k-atari-mint.
ThorstenOtto
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Post by ThorstenOtto »

BlankVector wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:26 pm In my binaries, I prefer to stick to the old binutils 2.30 (last official support for m68k).
Yes, normally there is no urgent need to use newer versions. The bug does not affect code generated by the compiler, only if you write standalone assembler files.
Maybe at some point that could become the only solution.
Lets hope they won't remove a.out assembler output from gcc in near future. If that happens, maintaining a patched version may become unmanagable, Then the only solution would be to switch to elf somehow.

Return to “Coding”